Tuesday 21 April 2009

Speaking of thermodynamics, what fascinates me is the thermodynamic miracle of life. Such perfect ordering. One doesn't need to know much to appreciate it. Most of us have all our biochemical reactions working perfectly with just tiny stepwise changes in free energy powering our hearts, muscles etc. And it happens day in and day out without a mistake. How can this happen? Most biochemical mechanisms(the little I know) are beautiful.

This was echoed by one student I mentioned earlier when I had explained the uptake of oxygen by hemoglobin....he stared at the blackboard and said "oh wow!!" I rarely find a student who truly appreciates science in this manner.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...