Tuesday 4 August 2009

quite hopeless

The bottle neck in the education system is the teacher. No amount of curriculum modernisation is going to help if finally a fantastic curriculum is being taught by a teacher who does not understand the subject matter.
Many teachers in school are poorly educated themselves, they are not very knowledgable. They do not have the skills required to research for information nor do they have the means to do so. ...though I must say, after my stint in the village, I am impressed by the way BSNL has brought broadband to villages.
The teachers were taught by the existing mug-up-and-write method, so how are they going to teach any different? and how can we expect them to understand the curriculum and teach with some insight into the subject they teach?
I do not see any hope.

2 comments:

Sagorika Singha said...

I agree with you JL. And the introduction of broadband in villages is a great move indeed.. I wish it made to our villages soon too. I shiver everytime I see the state of education (or rather the ways education is implemented here at least)a science graduate is made to teach languages(and it is no joke) the students suffer, the teaching thus prospers. Hopefully the new media can make do with at least a part of such discrepancies.

How are you? You write quite irregularly(as if, I'm doing better)
take care. My results are out. I'm moving out of my hometown at last.

L said...

Good to hear from you. I am not regular now since I am back to my fulltime job and also had my children home for the vacation.
Hope your results matched your expectations and good luck for whatever you are now about to embark upon.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...