Monday 13 April 2009

School education

I had a lovely time in the school where I studied from class 8 to class 11. Those days, we finished school by class 11.
The Principal of this school was an MA from Oxford. I never learnt what her subject of study was. However, she taught us Shakespeare, geography , and art at different times in my stay in that school. She once told us that she had taught all subjects except, hindi and sanskrit, at one time or the other.
The best of all these were her geography classes. Once a week, we had a geography walk. We would go for a long walk in the hills during which she would point out geographical features and discuss them. We would then sit and draw contour diagrams of some distant hill. On our way back, she would treat us all to a cup of tea at a roadside teastall. It was wonderful.
I loved those geography classes. I really learnt physical geography.
Nobody seems to like learning in schools nowadays.

1 comment:

The Sunflower Collective said...

it in those "cup of tea at a roadside teastall"moments that you learn more than what you learn in class room.No wonder, you enjoyed it.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...