Sunday 19 April 2009

teachers

In college, as I have already talked about, the people who taught me believed good teaching was reciting a textbook without looking at anything( note/book/paper). In fact one person never looked at anyone ..no eye contact ever!!! I still cant understand how he could teach like that or why he did.... academia is full of weirdos.
Then I went to an institute. There, of course no one recited textbooks. A few were very good...taught me to like Chemistry again.But there were a few profs who believed teaching ignoramuses like us was beneath them. One particular prof taught (didnt) us thermodynamics. He regularly told us we were dumbos and wouldn't understand anything.... At that time, I accepted this because I (and all my classmates) did not understand much of what he taught. It is thanks to the system of relative grading we passed. Now I see that it was a failure on his part that none of us understood thermodynamics.
Teaching a class is fulfilling because you see faces concentrating on what you are saying, and suddenly many of them clear up..the faces suddenly change...it's a good feeling.
That gentleman missed all the fun.

3 comments:

Abi said...

Thermo. It is a pretty tough subject to learn. And to teach too. But once one gets the hang of it (note I didn't say "master it"), it's a lot of fun -- to learn further and to teach too.

Quite possibly that nasty teacher would have been equally nasty and insulting while teaching any other subject ...

L said...

True. A person who loves to teach enjoys making others understand....in fact it is specially rewarding if one can make a "dumbo" understand what one is teaching.

The Sunflower Collective said...

how true

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...