Sunday 26 April 2009

IIT alumni

I was talking this morning to a person who recruits people for his company. They do analytical work and he recruits statisticians, mathematicians and some IITians. He says that nowadays, the IIT grads are not like they were in his days (he is from IITM). They lack inquisitiveness and creativity. He says they work to instructions, but show no creative problem solving skills.
I got on my favourite soap box. It is all because of the coaching classes.
I keep harping on this but I see the fallout regularly... and it has become worse of late...last 5 years or so.
Nowadays, coaching for IIT/Medicine starts in class 7 or 8.
Keeping 12 year olds inside a building for 10 hours a day , not encouraging language skills, arts, sports is not the way to produce creative people.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...