Monday 6 April 2009

out of context

I was supposed to blog about education, but since I was uploading my photos, I couldn't resist putting a few up on all my blogs.
The WiS people are quite serious about their project. I am glad things are changing for the next generation of women scientists.
Many years ago, I used to watch the UGC programs regularly. One program was about Leelavati, the daughter of the ancient mathematician Bhaskara. He used to make up stories for his young daughter Leelavati. Each story was a mathematical problem and she had to figure it out. Later, when she grew up, she too became a great mathematician. I thought it was a lovely story.
The WiS has published a book 'Lilavati's daughters'
www.ias.ac.in/womeninscience/preface.pdf

3 comments:

ShantanuDas said...

why not tell us a few stories here? would love to listen .. nowdays I am not able to buy books.. how many books can one buy when living space is a problem!!!

Good Pics btw.. of the fog / mist

L said...

I am not much of a storyteller...
re. not buying books, that's why we have esnips

L said...

Glad you liked my pictures...I like the ones you upload.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...