Thursday 16 April 2009

Classroom dynamics.

I am happy to see this link. Now there is good news for mothers -- that is another post
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=parents-peers-children&page=3
But more important, is the study of the class and how it works.
I don't know about small children (but I expect it is similar), but undergrad classes have an interesting dynamics. In most colleges, a group of students go through college together.
All classes are a mix of maybe 10-15% of students who are really interested in academics, about 40-50% who are there because they must study for some undiscovered reason, and the rest because they were put in college and told to get a degree of which a few are downright rowdies.
I teach these classes Chemistry for three years. (the % figures are just guesses though)
In some classes, the rowdies of the class,though few, make a great mark in it. The whole class slides. The once enthusiastic learners become apathetic and the once apathetic become useless. This trend starts by the middle of their first year and gains momentum throughout their stay in college. I lose the battle by their second year. I stop giving assignments(noone does them), or any extra inputs(noone cares) and just deliver my lecture and go home.
In other classes, the top 10-15% are the ones who dominate. The bright ones shine, lead discussions in class, ask questions. They make my lectures such fun, that I look forward to their class --and I have to read up well before such classes. These students end up in good institutions for their PG, go on to a research career.
The once apathetic ones perk up, do assignments, read what I ask them to read and by the end of three years, become quite good. Even the once rowdy elements, do a fairly good job and pass with decent marks. It is amazing and I never forget that class.
But try as I might, I cannot control the dynamics...I can only observe it.
I am not sure why...perhaps it is the numbers as the article says.

2 comments:

The Sunflower Collective said...

Dear Madam, I could guess before from the style of your writing and your thought process that you teach.
I have taught Economics in a graduate college for two years. I know what it is like.... I know the pain when you try to do something new and in the process become lonely. I also know the homework we like to do and the enthusiasm we feel before entering an inquisitive class.
"Even the once rowdy elements, do a fairly good job and pass with decent marks. It is amazing and I never forget that class."
So true!
I left teaching and came here in Delhi
But to tell you the truth, I seriously missing teaching.
Thanks for sharing.

L said...

Then try and get back to it...it is frustrating sometimes, but fulfilling at others. You can be good at it only if you care.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...