Saturday 30 January 2016

beating retreat

I love marching bands and in particular the Beating Retreat after our Republic day. I watch it almost every year. I wait eagerly for the 'Abide with me', specially the bells. This year, it started with the lovely 'Kadam kadam badhaye ja'. But then, there was this composition 'Agyat Youvana' that had an Indian classical component with tabla, violin, etc. That is just not done. I like classical music, I enjoy both instrumental and vocal music - but in a marching band?   It violates the basic requirement of a marching band...it has to march.
I will listen to Zakir Hussain or Taufiq Qureshi or any other tabalchi separately and enjoy them thoroughly, but not at Vijay Chowk on 29th Jan.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...