Friday 29 January 2016

ancient languages

In one of my previous posts, I had said that I felt deciphering ancient languages had, to my mind, a little bit of unjustified extrapolations. Here is one

http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/linguistics/science-indus-script-sanskrit-language-01777.html
While describing one symbol, he gives a reference (called Spokensanskrit) and says that "Kavari" means umbrella in Sanskrit. However, I could not find this meaning in any regular dictionary.
The dictionaries I saw give "Chat" as word for unbrella and that fits with the commonly used words like chatrapati and chatri.
The symbol looks like the Kavadi that people in Tamil Nadu still carry and dance with, sometimes in a trance, during certain festivals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtcdZr9GByY
So if at all the term 'Kavari' is to be associated with that symbol, it must be linked to or a precursor to Tamil. Iravatham Mahadevan's thesis is that the Indus language is Dravidian.
I find it difficult to judge what is serious academic work and what is mere fanciful extrapolation. In this case, use of a website called Spokensanskrit as a source makes me suspicious.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...