Sunday 25 March 2012

'khayali pulao'

I normally do not discuss my future plans with anyone, since I very often do not implement them. However, this time, I am sure I will regret it to my dying day if I do not implement the current plan of teaching in schools. Hence I talk about my plans to whoever I come across, interested or otherwise, in order to put pressure on myself. I hope I do implement them and my plans do not end up as another 'khayali pulao'.
There is a boy , a school dropout, who sells vegetables near my college. I tried to convince him to rejoin school, volunteering to go and talk to the principal of the nearby ZP school. But he refused.
I am sure, in class, he would not have been able to answer a question like 7+8=?, but at his shop, he weighs the vegetables and calculates the price(sometimes for 170 g of beetroot @ Rs 13 for 250g or such odd weights) and totals up.
This is what I would like to address. A child who is unable to cope in school, has skills that are similar to what is needed in school. There is some block.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your enthusiasm and keen interest in shaping the society in a better way. But, I really doubt whether you will succeed in becoming one good. School students' pet teachers are those who dictate science and math in class aiding in taking notes so that their task in hand becomes easy. Students just need to memorize the alphabets and greek symbols from the notebook and reproduce it during the sacrosanct 3 hours period. Success and Societal respect depends on how well one is able to accomplish this mission.

My suggestion would be to try out with primary and upper primary children. They will have elements of freshness in them because, you know, people are born intelligent.

L said...

Yes I do plan to try it out with 5th or 6th class children who I think are old enough to do some activities and young enough not to have been spoiled by the system yet.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...