Wednesday 28 March 2012

gluten intolerance

There is a huge rise in gluten intolerance in the last 5o years. I have read about this a number of times. I hear of many cases of nut allergies amongst children in the US....neices, nephews, whereas, I have not come across it in India-born children. I am sure, in the US too, nut allergies were not common 50 years ago.
As for the wheat, "Additionally, modern wheat is very different from the wheat your ancestors ate. The proportion of gluten protein in wheat has increased enormously as a result of hybridization."
Perhaps a similar theory is possible for nuts.
When they started hybridising wheat
, I am sure they did not know this would happen. (assuming the conclusion in the quote above is true).
This is an unexpected fallout.
Such unexpected fallouts are what I am afraid of when we let bt crops loose in the environment. Fifty years hence, someone will publish a study that says "eating bt potatoes is the cause of ------- disorder."

disclaimer:-There is another theory for this gluten intolerance, as for autoimmune diseases, that excessive hygiene and lack of exposure to pathogens during childhood leads to an immature immune system and this creates the responses.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...