Monday 18 January 2010

Acoustics

Acoustics is a mystery to a layperson like me. Some rooms are really good. I stand at the head of the class and speak at just slightly above my speaking voice and the student in the 8th row can hear me, while in other rooms, my voice seems to lose its way beyond the second row.
In my house, I have a television in the first floor lobby. If you sit in front of the TV, you can hear it only if the volume is fairly high, but at that volume, the sound reaches the ground floor dining area at an unbearable volume. It is most peculiar. In the same dining area, I have been scared out of my wits by a man's voice just behind my shoulder when I was alone in the house. It was someone talking in the next house garden that sounded as if it was 6 inches away from me. My house has the most peculiar acoustics.

1 comment:

ShantanuDas said...

My wife has the best accoustics!! She can hear what my mother whispers to me about her in another room!!!

Thanks for coming to my blog once again.. Yes.. I seeem to have seen almost all in South.. I am yet to host the photos of other places!! :-) keep coming to see..

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...