Friday 15 January 2010

More on hazards of being a teacher

Further on the hazards of being a teacher is the habit of talking loudly.
I regularly teach a class of 70 students. A few of our classrooms have (accidentally) good acoustics . In others, I have to strain my vocal chords to their maximum to be heard (which is the reason I am intolerant of students chatting while I teach). The result of this is that I habitually talk loud. My children, when in their teens were terribly embarassed by me-- "sh.... ma, I am one person, not a class" and "dont shout at me! I didnt commit any crime."
Now as I grow older, my voice has automatically lost its volume. On the days I have three or more lectures, I feel I have run a marathon.
The amount of energy required to talk loudly is unbelievable and you realise it only when your body starts struggling during each lecture.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes acid reflux can weaken the vocal chords. Try sleeping on an incline, avoiding spicy food, tea, coffee, chocolates, and giving a gap of at least 2 hours between your last meal and bedtime. Moderate regular exercise also helps greatly.

Irrespective of all of the above, you should not have to subject your vocal chords to such punishment. Ask your department for an adequate sound system.

L said...

Thanks for the tip.True acid reflux does affect the throat. Teaching 70 students and 20 lecture workload/week is norm in many colleges-and no sound system, but one learns the trick of throwing ones voice soon after starting to teach.

Ranga said...

If straining your vocal cords was not enough damage done, what makes teaching even more straining is the tendency of some teachers to stand throughout their lecture. Using microphones or better acoustics could help lessen the vocal exertion. However, exertion of the limbs is what really does it for teachers. A pity that most of us students don't realize the pains that our teachers take.

L said...

@Ranga Nice to hear that from a student. Standing is not a problem for chemists...all your life you stand for hours at the lab bench - you get used to it.

Rainbow Scientist said...

Yeah, giving lectures to big class lectures is strain on vocal cords. we need to modernize the classrooms. There is another drawback of teaching though :). I felt that I was giving constant advises to everybody. It becomes so much of a habit with continuous teaching.

L said...

@Rainbow scientist- :) very true....I am consciously trying to curb this advice-giving tendency...with some success, except with my children!!

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...