Wednesday 6 January 2010

What kind of a person am I?

In the blog What is Life the blogger quotes V S Ramachandran "It seems somehow disconcerting to be told that your life, all your hopes, triumphs and aspirations simply arise from the activity of neurons in your brain."
This has bothered me from the time I started on my hypertension medication. I used to get disproportionately annoyed with my children and was doing quite a bad job as a parent. Then a visit to the doctor for some physical illness, brought out the fact that I was hypertensive. I started on my medication and lo behold! in just two days, I became reasonable, and stopped getting annoyed with my children for petty faults. Fifty mg of a chemical changed who I was!!! That means, some chemicals in my brain had made me a ill-tempered person. Now I fear that tomorrow, some chemical may make me ill-tempered again, or some other chemical may make me saintly...
Then what kind of a person am I?

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...