Tuesday 13 December 2011

random

A recent gift--a dell laptop. Being tech-challenged, can't say more than that.
However, now I have a laptop that comes on when i switch it on! I don't have to coax it to boot up. My old laptop behaved like a person with OCD-- I had to press the power-on button, wait a few sec, press it off, and then again on. Then it would come to life.... it must have learnt this from the pop up boxes we get when we wish to delete a file...we are asked to confirm we wish to delete. My old laptop always wanted to confirm whether I really wanted to switch it on and waste my time blogging when i had pending jobs like cleaning cupboards and folding clothes.
A swamiji from R K Mutt spoke to students. I have heard similar speeches from him. His speeches have a lot of sense...no high funda philosophy, but interesting , with anecdotes to enliven the talk.
But I never get any new ideas from them.

One new idea I liked was from this TED talk on regret. I like this way of thinking about regrets.
In my childhood, many "madrasis" living in Delhi used to eat rotis regularly--they were new to north India, but were adapting. But they liked to sieve the atta. The punjabis prefer bran left in the atta. I learnt that I liked the rotis with the bran better. The bran gave the rotis more substance, more flavour.
Regrets are probably the bran of life.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...