Thursday 1 December 2011

Maybe I should change the description of my blog

I must change the title of my blog. It has now meandered from "my views on education" though it wanders back often. Maybe I have said all I had to say on the matter.
One common feature of all Universities, Govt colleges and some private ones that are administered like Govt organisations, is their admin staff. They all work at their own pace, cannot be hurried even in dire emergencies.
The QR for the job of acad clerk or PA to the dean or the accounts clerk, is that they must be philosophers, unfazed by the mad rush of lesser mortals trying to organise a seminar or get the bill passed to pay the examiner. After all, in the larger context of the universe, what is an LCD projector?
However, in the much maligned (by me) private colleges run by some politician in a block of flats, the staff is usually super efficient. They have only one boss (the politician) and do the work given to them with precision. When we go as examiners to such colleges, if we have any admin problem, one word to the admin staff, and it is sorted out immediately. They even plan the lab schedules!

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...