Sunday 6 December 2009

PG students

When they first started an MSc in Biochem in our college, they did not have enough staff to teach all the courses. We, in the Chem. dept were roped in to teach some of the courses taht we could..like a course on biomolecules and one on spectroscopic methods. I got roped in for the latter and diligently prepared for hours polishing my long forgotten spectroscopy, looked up new examples in unfamiliar biomolecules and prepared my lectures.
Once in class, what a let down it was. The students who join for an MSc in this university are much, much worse than the students who join our college for a BSc. They truly did not understand anything I taught. Maybe I am bad, but I can make my undergrads understand.
This paradox still puzzles me....(but perhaps it's like MTechs vs BTechs in IITs)
I am told the current batches are better....they couldn't be worse.
Incidentally, I discovered how awesome biochemistry really is once you are not required to mug up structures and pathways for exams.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...