Thursday 31 December 2009

During my days as a student, I used to think that teaching is boring, specially in the university colleges. Each year you teach the same syllabus on and on.
But now, I do not think so. Though the content of my lectures are more or less the same, I teach each batch differently since I tend to teach in a reactive manner. Some batches get boring lectures with no questions asked, no extra inputs, no interesting bits of information,no comments or asides, no digression into the importance of being able to express one's thoughts cogently, nothing. Other batches get the full works . I do that if I feel the students can be improved. Some students are not interested in anything ...such students, I leave alone; I just teach the syllabus as concisely as possible and finish the classes.
One ex- student told me that he had advised his juniors never to miss my classes since it was more fun inside the class than outside(btw, this is not as complimentary as it sounds since he clarified that he liked the remarks I make when some student disturbs me by chatting in class)
But the said juniors are a class which I go to with utmost reluctance, give my lecture and scoot. No comments, no digressions, no extra info...strictly syllabus as prescribed by the University. They sit in class as if they were a taxidermist's handwork. No expressions on their faces. If my lecture went
"the oxidation states of I thought it would rain today but forgot to bring my umbrella and the magnetic properties depend upon.... " no one would even blink an eyelid. I am sure.

1 comment:

bythewindowsill said...

A child of two teachers, and having tried it for a year myself, I understand that it is tremendous effort and enthusiasm.
cheers, we need innovative teachers.

and well... we have the politicians we deserve, and it applies for teachers as well. :-) :-)

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...