Sunday 6 December 2009

DG CSIR

The hue and cry about the antics at the CSIR has probably died down now.
I came across the other people in the run for the post of DG.
http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/Pushpito_Ghosh_to_be_new_CSIR_chief-nid-36229.html
I wonder why Pushpito Ghosh was not made the DG and also what happened to Visweswariah Prakash.
How much politicking must have gone on I can imagine.
The student community of institutions like the IITs or IISc is amongst the most gossip-mongering.
One gets to "know " people even without actually having any conversations with them. It was true in my time (ancient times as my children tell me) and is probably so now; and old habits die hard... Hence the curiosity.

2 comments:

Abi said...

Prakash was made the offer, and he did accept it. But, just about a month or so before he was to take over, he relinquished -- should I say prelinquished? -- the position of DG-to-be, citing personal (and perhaps health) reasons. [Some of that story is recounted here.]

After a protracted delay, the job finally went to Prof. Brahmachari.

Do you think Ghosh might have been a better choice? Perhaps you can share your reasons for this line of thinking?

L said...

I really have no idea. I was acquainted with these people when we were students and I dropped out of that world since. So it is just idle curiosity.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...