Wednesday 1 September 2010

facebook

I find Facebook quite difficult to accept. That what you do everyday gets into the public domain is very difficult to handle. The younger people seem fine with it. Either from your friends' comments, or from what you write, your whole life seems to have become public. I have so far been just dipping my toes in the water as far as facebook is concerned-- on the one hand, it is a nice way of keeping in touch, but on the other, it lays bare your life to the public. I really don't know how good it is.
What I envy is the fact that my children are able to keep in touch with friends from way back.....one of my daughter's classmates who left her school when they were 12 years old, got in touch once they all got on to facebook- so much so, they know the minor details of each others lives.
I, on the other hand, have lost touch with old friends, because in our times, one wrote letters-- and that happened once or twice a month, then once a year and finally dwindled down to never. Now, after 3 decades, even if I find my old friends on Linkedin or facebook, there is no commonality.
Facebook has given a new dimension to friendship which is alien to most people of my age group. Even those of my age group who are on facebook, do not use it in the same manner.... they don't inform the world that they strained their muscles trying to jog with grandson or some such information..... we are not used to informing the world about the trivia in our lives-- we feel "who would care to know this ?"
But ........ Does anyone really need to know how I feel about facebook?

2 comments:

Shubashree said...

hi - you've expressed it well... I have just come to the conclusion that facebook actually takes away my ability to interact with people rather than the other way around.

L said...

I can quite imagine that, because friendship for me is chatting face to face. I guess you are past your twenties (or are an exception) because I find the people in their twenties are the ones who are very comfortable with facebook and their friendships are really enriched by it.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...