Sunday 15 July 2012

Evaluation

Further to my previous post, like I wonder how reliable the student feedback on our teaching are, similarly, I wonder how reliable the continuous evaluation scheme in schools are. Can teachers rise above personal preferences, friendship with parents of their pupils, or just cussedness and evaluate children honestly? I have heard many children say that no matter how good their projects are, only X will get good grade.
There are some students who may not be likeable, but may do great work. Will teachers be objective enough to give them good grades? However, continuous evaluation does relieve the exam pressure.
The depressing conclusion is that no system covers all bases.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

True. Unfortunately, I have always been in a class with high gender equality. In laboratories and workshops, no matter how well we boys do, its the gals who get more marks. For example, in engineering graphics class, although boys understand and visualize the concepts well and draw them quickly, it is the gals who instill mercy and take away top grades. This is because, even if their works aren't original, they present it really well by submitting a neat and tidy answer sheets. We boys used to terribly get annoyed and irritated because the evaluation is biased towards the tidiness of the drawing sheets over the conceptual clarity.

I have always wondered why this happens? I guess the look good criterion also plays a pivotal role in continuous evaluation especially in labs.

L said...

I think "look good" does play some role, if not conciously, at least somewhere in the background.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...