Sunday 27 March 2011

Security

A recent blogpost brings me to the subject of security in crowded public places.
One big city railway station 2009... an entry was setup with a metal detector through which about 20 diligent people like me queued up and went and had our bags checked. The rest of the sea of humanity that visits the station on any given day, just walked in anyhow and the three police personnel watched them.
Again the same station some other day in 2009, people were let in from the side entrance with a constable checking the bags with a metal detector. They then put a small sticker on my bag and let me in.
What is the point?
Another big railway station 2008.... My son and I were going to Chennai, and we had a couple of large suitcases. I stood at a spot looking after the luggage waiting my son. I noticed an abandoned suitcase with a hole in it. Ten minutes later, it was still there. I got a little worried and moved behind one of the large pillars-- just in case. Another five minutes, my son came. I went off to find a policeman on duty I found one and informed him about the suitcase. He peepd from his position and there it was at some distance. He stood and watched it. Then two cleaning ladies came along. They said it was just an empty suitcase.However, they went to investigate. It was really just an empty suitcase, probably abandoned since it had a hole in it.
Come to think of it, what else can you expect?
Only solution--If you are religious, pray to God --if not, become religious and then pray to God

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...