Sunday 27 March 2011

peculiar observation

Just now, I am using my desktop. The keyboard was dirty and so I had brought some cotton-wool and spirit and was cleaning the keyboard. A small fluff of the cotton flew and got stuck on the screen. So far OK.
But, when I was viewing my blog, the dark blue background made this white fluff look orange. When I switched the screen to another page - white background, or light blue background, it looks normal.
As a rough guide, a normal object appears orange in ambient light if it absorbs blue and reflects the orange. However, the screen is emitting some dark blue light-- I get this far. But further, I am stumped!

2 comments:

Ranga said...

Er.. Now that you have forced me to analyze this, let me go for it. The cotton blob might be stained by a dye that absorbs blue and fluoresces orange! Makes sense in theory, how that came into your keyboard is a different question altogether!

L said...

I originally thought that was unlikely (and that it's the biochemist in you attaching fluors to molecules), but a little further investigation led me to this-- one of the standard test for absorbant cotton is"when treated with uv, it should not give more than a few points of fluorescence"
http://www.cicr.org.in/research_notes/Absorbent_cotton.pdf
So you are probably right!

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...