Sunday 19 July 2009

Kapil Sibal is definitely an improvement on Arjun Singh....though that's not saying much. I saw a part of the CNN program with the HRD minister. Whatever may be the changes, it is not possible to throw out most of the current VCs and get new faculty VC down to lecturer. Similarly, throw out all the state boards and teachers and get new ones.
Years ago, when my daughter was in class 3, she would learn answers and ask me to hear her repeat them. She would pre-empt me saying "now don't correct the grammar in the answer, I have to write it just like the teacher has given it" sure enough, there would be many grammatical errors in the answers...which a 8 year old could detect. Such is the quality of teachers in "good schools".
One teacher told my son while teaching The Merchant of Venice that "Antonio was a good fencer" meant that antonio could build fences well.
But I came across a couple of good teachers when I went to a government school in a village near Ooty.
It's a lottery...a child may come across a good teacher and then his/her life is made.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...