Friday 8 October 2021

Women in STEM

 I had for long kept off any alumni groups from the institute where I got my PhD from. But now I joined a few very accomplished women who were my contemporaries at IITD to try and do something to shine light on the gender ratio in science and technology. It is not something new, but my hope is if enough of us get together, specially powerful alumni, maybe we can make some difference. 

What I would like to see as a start is that IITs, IISERs and such institutions would set up good quality child care. Secondly that they would NOT treat it as a women’s issue, implying that fathers do not care if their children are left to fend for themselves. It would be great if such facilities can be available in every institution and organisation, but that’s still a long way to go.

As a start, we are planning an event where two scientists describe their path to a successful career in science and a social scientist describes her findings on how women in science fare in their journeys.

I will post a link later. 






No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...