Sunday 2 April 2017

Wages again

Another episode that makes me wonder.... sometime back, I landed at  Hyderabad airport and went to the taxi kiosk for a ride home. As I was alone, the policeman at the taxi counter got me a SHE cab. That is the rule they follow. I had a not-so-pleasant experience with a SHE cab about a year before this, nevertheless, I got into her taxi. The lady was quite nice unlike the previous one and we chatted on our way. She told me she used to be  an ICU nurse at one of the top hospitals of Hyderabad. Her husband died suddenly, leaving her to bring up two children. So she gave up her nursing job and took up taxi driving. I asked why, she said the income was far greater and she couldn't have managed on her salary as an ICU nurse.
While I agree all jobs are important, I would not have died without a taxi from the airport to my house. But without a competent ICU nurse, I may very well die if I was in one.
Some jobs are more important. So why are they not paid well? The hospitals charge patients exorbitant amounts for a day in the ICU, then why not pay the nurses well?
Wages are really skewed in our country. Teachers, doctors, nurses are not considered to be very important.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...