Monday 1 August 2016

Prof J

My PhD guide was an exception to the usual profs at IIXs. He cared for the welfare of his students, definitely his research  students. He was understanding when personal problems overwhelmed me and did not question my lack of progress.
Instead he helped me change track that led me to a new area of research. He allowed me to pursue theoretical work when his interests lay elsewhere, even getting his friend to help me learn the basics. He showed me how to live without letting ego get in the way of good judgement. His equanimity was exemplary. I learned much more than Chemistry from him.
He passed away few weeks back.
He was a true teacher.

2 comments:

Hip Grandma said...

I was also lucky to have a guide who treated us like family. Whenever I felt like running away from my research work he'd give umpteen examples of people who worked for years without anything to show but they persisted all the same. XISS?? Are you from Ranchi?

L said...

I am from an IIT. Yes my guide would be very tolerant of the various failed experiments and allowed me total independence, which is how I learnt much more than I would have otherwise.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...