Saturday 12 March 2016

Thinking is fine, but learning is what I'm here for.

There is a Chem course where the faculty has tried over a few years to teach analytical thinking by making students observe expts, formulate hypotheses and find answers.
This is a part of a student feedback for this course
"The teacher is good in his field. He encourages us. But he doesn't define things. Thinking is fine, but learning is what I'm here for."
It defines everyone's concept of TLE- everyone who has a say in defining curricula. So much so that though I recognise the need to, I doubt if I could successfully teach what these people at Nebraska are trying to.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...