Saturday 6 October 2012

From my old blog


On growing old
I think the two things that make old age painful is losing ones energy and ones memory....not losing ones good looks as is the popular perception.When one is 10 years old, anyone above 15 seems old. Then, when one is 20, 40 is old. At 40, 70 is old and so on. So the definition of old age is very flexible. When young, we think it is sad to be old. Of course, old age when one is feeble, helpless is awfully sad.But as one grows older, there is a sense of liberation. As we leave the insecurities of our teenage, we become more confident. In our twenties, we become independent and that's a source of happiness. In our thirties, we become parents, learn to handle professional responsibilities.We really grow. We are not so worried about what others say, we are sure of ourselves, more confident about doing what we want.What I find most liberating about being old is the freedom. A young girl cannot chat with strange people, auto drivers, co passengers in a bus. Now, I just have nice conversations with strangers---I give free advice on anything I feel like, even if they dont like it, they tolerate that nice old lady. You can bargain with impunity.... It is liberating. What is not nice is the loss of energy...I see a hill but I know I cant trek up to the top...it's sad.I envy the young their energy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

try building up energy bit by bit. My mentor is 65 and still runs marathon. He runs 5-10 miles every day. I am much younger than him, but get tired much faster than him when we walk together. I am planning to start gym soon.

Agree with everything else. I like being in my 40s much more than I ever liked being in my 20s. I had so much uncertainty and struggle at that age, that I never want to return there.

L said...

I think most people don't want to go back to their teens/twenties. I would like to be 35-45 all my life....one is not too physically weakened, but is sure of oneself.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...