Friday 22 July 2011

blogs and reading

Reading this post and the links therein, I have some mixed feelings.
One is a sense of relief that my inability to read seriously in recent times, is not, as I thought, a forewarning of impending dementia. I often hear other people complaining about this problem, but it is a relief to see how universal it is.
Second is a feeling of sadness that now we have generations that will never read seriously.
There is also hope that this is not a bad thing-just different.
Personally, ever since I started reading blogs, I have read far more science than I ever had access to. I have also been able to access studies on education in India, thoughts of people doing developmental work.....many things I did not even know existed.
I think this breadth of knowledge I have acquired is far more valuable than the ability to read in depth , considering my situation and needs. This may not be true for all.
However, the price for me, is well worth the goods.

2 comments:

Shubashree said...

Hi L,

It does overwhelm you when you read at random... it's because when you are doing research you read in a focussed manner and dont realise that you're on safe ground.

And I also like your comment about the breadth you see on reading blogs. They're much more friendly and varied...
---Shuba

L said...

Shuba: Yes, reading blogs at random is a bit overwhelming, but sometimes also fun...you see points of view you never imagined. The blogs you follow usually have opinions that are close to your way of thinking, but random blogs open up worlds I never knew existed.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...