Friday 11 February 2011

students and environmental studies

The University has a few compulsory, but pass-fail type examination for all its undergrads. The first year students do a course called 'Indian heritage and culture', the second year students as in all other universities do a paper called "environmental studies" and the third year students do a paper called 'Science and civilisation" .

Year-end exercise for us is setting papers in these and correcting the answer books.
The papers used to entertain me in the past years. In fact, my children, when they were in school, would wait for me to bring home the science and civilisation papers. The answers would lead to much hilarity in the household.
But this year, it is depressing me terribly that we have a generation of students who think global warming and a hole in the ozone layer are the same things, taht in the aquatic ecosystem, the tiger is the secondary consumer.......too many such things.
I am not amused at all this year.

No comments:

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...