Saturday 21 August 2010

Today, we had a freshers welcome show in our college... that means, in my old age, I have to listen to mediocre or even really bad music amplified through high wattage speakers for 4 hours at a stretch. So I am exhausted.
A few years back, my brother was visiting me. I had to go to my college, so had taken him and my little neice(about 5 yrs old ) along with me. This was because we were having a sort of student activities day. I left my neice in front of the stage to watch a play telling her that it was a funny play(it was supposed to be). When I got back, she was watching it seriously and asked me"When will the funny part come?"
A colleague of mine teaching English used to put up plays in the college. With her sergeant-major tactics, she put up some really high class plays with the same kind of students. On their own, the students cannot even think of putting up a good skit, let alone a play -- and they are all around 20 years of age.
There really is something wrong with how we educate them.

1 comment:

Sivaramakrishnan said...

Guess what the worst part is... leave alone "extra-curriculars" like dramatics or public speaking; Most students don't even understand what they're supposed to have learnt.

Me and a friend of mine once got together and set up a survey with a couple of simple questions. Our survey might have been biased, but the majority were undergraduate students in IITM in their 2nd and 3rd years. The questions had to do with exponential growth(compound interest), and the other with friction on bicycle wheels.

Surprise, surprise... the strike rate was only 50%.

Ceiling fan

 I read somewhere that as a solution for student suicides, IISc has decided to remove fans from hostel rooms. No fan, no suicide. This shoul...